Facts About Slips, Trips And Falls

slips trips and falls falling stick man

During the winter months, slippery, wet and icy conditions increase the chances of slips, trips and falls. It’s important to watch the weather, and be prepared for these conditions. Reducing the amount of slip, trip and fall hazards will reduce the chances of any unnecessary accidents. However, while this may limit your chances of any accidents in and around your home, sometimes they occur as the result of someone else’s negligence. In these cases, a slip and fall lawyer may be able to help you receive compensation for your accident. Here are some other important things to know about preventing and handling slip, trip and fall accidents: 

How Do Slips, Trips and Falls Happen?

Although we often think of height related falls, according to the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board of Ontario (WSIB), same level slips and falls make up 65% of all fall injuries. Falls from heights only account for the remaining 35% of fall injuries.

What Are Slips, Trips and Falls Hazards?

There are many factors that can cause slips, trips and falls. In addition to slick and icy conditions, here are a few other common hazards:
• Irregular surfaces (i.e. stairs, ridges, etc.)
• Poor visibility
• Construction areas
• Areas with open manholes or openings
• Improper footwear

Safety Preparedness For Employers:

According to the WSIB, from 2000 to 2001, 20 workers died falling at work. In fact, one in every six lost time injuries (LTI) in Ontario is caused by a fall. Employers can be prosecuted for not complying with the law and with safety regulations. All employers must have safety regulations in place. In terms of reducing instances of slips, trips and falls, this may include:
• Clearing ice and snow from any and all parking lots.
• Using salt and/or other anti-slip materials on sidewalks and parking lots.
• Setting footwear regulations to ensure proper safety gear is worn.
• Creating a set safety plan, delegating roles and ensuring tasks are completed.
• Proper safety training for all staff.
• Take precaution and provide information regarding potential slip, trip and fall hazards.

How A Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Help:

According to the WSIB, 20% of all workplace injuries are the result of highly preventable slips, trips and falls and the average time lost from a workplace injury is six weeks. If you’ve suffered a slip, trip or fall at the workplace, you might be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering and/or lost work time. Consulting a slip and fall lawyer after an accident will help you determine whether your claim is worth pursuing further.

As the temperature drops, the chances of slips, trips and falls increases. Understanding the related hazards is the first step in reducing the odds of an avoidable and potentially painful or fatal accident.