What To Do After An Accident?
Any accident, minor or severe could have a substantial effect on your daily life. Chores such as cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, caring for children or the elderly and driving to work may become tasks that become harder as your injuries unravel itself. Our team at QTMG, in Ottawa, is here to help and guide you through your tough time.
The following are a few suggested next steps after an injury you could keep in mind to ensure that your path to recovery and a possible claim are on the right track.
Being in any type of accident can be frightening and overwhelming. It can be difficult to immediately think of what you should do at the accident scene. However, you should try your best to stay calm and cooperate with others.
what steps you can take to protect your rights:
- Do not leave the scene of the accident unless you absolutely require emergency medical attention.
- Determine if you or others involved in the accident have been injured and if so, call an ambulance – dial 911.
- Call the police if there are injuries, death, or serious property damage. In most cases, calling the police will allow the police to review the accident scene, lay charges if necessary and document the incident and then issue a police report number.
- Turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights.
- Take photos of the accident scene and surrounding area.
- Consider moving the vehicles to a safe place nearby.
- If there were other vehicles involved in the collision, get the information of the occupants of the other vehicles such as contact information, identification, and insurance details.
- If possible, obtain eyewitness names and contact information.
- Take photos of your injuries if possible.
- Do not provide or sign a statement to anyone except police to the extent they may require you to by law.
- Seek medical attention the same day (preferably) or the day after.
- Do not sign any papers (unless it is for the police).
- Never admit fault or discuss the incident.
- Call us for a free consultation.
Contact Us For Trusted Advice
Trusted Advice Right Guidance Privacy Guaranteed
Things to Do After Leaving the Accident Scene:
Once you have left the scene of the accident, there are additional steps we suggest you consider taking to protect your rights:
- Contact your insurance company and tell them what happened as soon as possible.
- If you are working, inform your manager or HR about the accident.
- Write to the police and obtain a copy of the police accident report.
- Follow up with your family doctor regularly with regards to the extent of your symptoms.
- Depending upon the extent of your injuries, seek help from chiropractor, physiotherapist or massage therapist as recommended by your doctor.
- Maintain detailed notes on your physical, mental and psychological injuries and symptoms.
- Maintain detailed notes of all your medical treatment and medications.
- Take photographs of your injuries.
- Do not meet with an insurance company representative, discuss your case or sign any documents until you have consulted a lawyer.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer at 613-563-1131.
Serving The Communities Of Ottawa Valley
After an accident, hiring a team of experts to help you with your accident claim could be one of the most important things you do for yourself and your family. Our experienced team of legal professionals can travel to you, anywhere in northern Ontario and provide a detailed case evaluation in the comfort of your home. Call us to schedule an appointment at 613-604-9718 or email us via online contact form. Our consultations are free and confidential. We work on a contingency fee basis.
Schedule an Appointment With One of Our
Experienced Lawyers Today for Trusted Advice