Family Law Act

Family Law Act

Family is the most important unit in society ― people depend on their family members for emotional, financial and physical support. Losing a close family member is devastating enough, but when this happens because of someone else’s negligence, those left behind can feel anger and resentment toward the person responsible as well.

Relatives may feel especially betrayed if someone has died needlessly in a hospital, under the care of medical professionals. These are the people who are supposed to have the training and ability to properly care for your loved ones.

The close family members of a person who died because of someone else’s mistake can sue the at-fault party for the financial support they used to receive or expected to receive from the deceased. In addition to work wages, this also includes time spent on housework and caring for children.

What’s more, under the Family Law Act, loved ones can claim damages for loss of care, guidance and companionship. This is not as easily quantifiable as lost wages, but is determined based on how close the claimant was to the deceased.

Family members provide emotional support to one another and the loss of this is often more difficult to adjust to than the loss of financial support. You probably miss talking to your loved one, getting advice from them and doing the things you used to enjoy together and feel sad at the thought that you will never share those special moments again.

Although no amount of money will bring back your loved one, you can derive a certain satisfaction from knowing that the at-fault party has been made to recognize the mistake it made and provide you with a compensation.

But what many people don’t realize is that adult siblings and parents can claim damages under the Family Law Act ― not only underage children and the spouse of a deceased. If your brother or sister died because of someone else’s negligence, you should be aware of the Family Law Act and how it can help you get closure after someone close to you was wrongfully killed. Talk to a lawyer about your options and ensure you receive what you are entitled to.