How to Prevent and Handle Slips, Trips, and Falls During Winter?

How to Prevent and Handle Slips Trips and Falls During Winter 1

How Do Slips, Trips, and Falls Happen? 

Slips, trips, and falls can happen unexpectedly, and it’s not just from heights. According to the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board of Ontario (WSIB), 65% of all fall injuries occur at the same level, while falls from heights make up the remaining 35% of fall injuries. 

What Are Common Slips, Trips, and Falls Hazards? 

When it comes to understanding the factors that contribute to slips, trips, and falls, it’s essential to delve into the specifics. These accidents can be caused by a multitude of hazards, some of which include: 

  • Slippery and Icy Conditions: The most obvious culprits during winter months, icy surfaces, and slippery walkways increase the risk of accidents. 
  • Irregular Surfaces: Uneven terrain, especially on surfaces like stairs and ridges, can catch people off guard, leading to unexpected falls. 
  • Poor Visibility: Inadequate lighting or obstructed views can make it difficult for individuals to detect potential hazards in their path. 
  • Construction Areas: Work in progress areas often have temporary obstacles and uneven ground, making them high-risk zones for accidents. 
  • Open Manholes or Openings: Uncovered manholes, pits, or openings in sidewalks or streets pose a significant danger if not properly marked or secured. 
  • Improper Footwear: Wearing inappropriate or worn-out footwear can reduce traction and increase the likelihood of slipping. 

Understanding these specific hazards empowers individuals to take proactive measures to minimize risks and ensure their safety, especially during the challenging winter season. 

How Can Employers Ensure Safety Preparedness? 

Employers play a crucial role in preventing workplace slips, trips, and falls. The WSIB reports that falls account for one in every six lost time injuries in Ontario, so safety regulations are vital. Employers can take several measures, such as clearing snow and ice, using anti-slip materials, enforcing footwear regulations, implementing safety plans, providing proper training, and raising awareness about potential hazards. 

How Can a Slip and Fall Lawyer Help? 

If you’ve experienced a slip, trip, or fall at work, you may be entitled to compensation for pain, suffering, and lost work time. Consulting with a slip and fall lawyer can help you assess the viability of your claim and guide you through the legal process. 

As winter arrives, the risk of slips, trips, and falls becomes more prominent. Being aware of these hazards is essential to prevent avoidable accidents. Remember, in case of an accident, seeking legal advice from QTMG’s experienced personal injury lawyers based in Ottawa can be a crucial step towards obtaining the compensation you deserve. Stay safe this winter and be prepared to navigate slippery conditions with our expert guidance